Thursday 15 January 2015

Cuddy's beads


This is the tiniest thing in my Dad's museum, perched on the end of my middle finger. It is a Cuddy's (St Cuthbert's) bead from Lindisfarne. He has quite a big collection of these in his museum - they are sections of Crinoids, which were animals (not plants) somehow related to sea urchins and sea lilies. These ones are about 350-300 million years old. Wow. I don't know how to visualise that. But there are older things in the collection too (to follow...)  I've never been to Lindisfarne but have longed to go for ages. Not really for the fossils, but now I know these are there, I would love to find some of these things of the least for myself. That's the excitement with fossils - actually finding them for yourself. An amazing and exhilarating experience... (There's a wonderful introduction to fossils on the Open University website, and the info in this post is thanks to my Dad's fossil expertise!)

3 Comments:

At 15 January 2015 at 08:19 , Blogger hazel said...

So small and yet so much history on the tip of your finger.
It is a perfect little thing.

 
At 15 January 2015 at 08:21 , Blogger Alex W said...

I know - it is quite overwhelming when you start to think about how old they are. And they are so small. But think how many things they have seen and experienced... Amazing.

 
At 15 January 2015 at 08:23 , Blogger Alex W said...

I would like to collect enough to make my own Cuddy's bead rosary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home